What's up with <span class="highlight">Dubbo</span>??

Submitted: Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 16:10
ThreadID: 38665 Views:5270 Replies:19 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
O.k..I'm on a roll now!

I've been searching around other forums and Badgers site to find a caravan park in Dubbo. We will be visiting the Zoo and probably staying two nights. There seemed to be a lot of references to "the problems Dubbo has had recently"...and a 'lock up your valuables and look out for bad guys' type warning.

What sort of place is Dubbo?

We were thinking of free/low cost camping one night...or would we be better off staying at a park..........or is all this danger... danger stuff a bit of a beat up?

Recommendations for caravan park or free camp welcomed!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ROBST - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 16:59

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 16:59
Hi Harry
Stayed at the Dubbo City caravan park a few times on the way through
in on site cabins and found it ok.just rememer to book as Dubbo is a busy place.
As for the danger havn't experienced any,just a sign of the times could be any were,and lock your gear up.
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 200049

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 17:08

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 17:08
Free camp about 10k's north of Dubbo at Brocklehurst. It is a roadside stop and gets trucks coming and going through the night so it can be noisy. I have stayed here many times and never had problems and wouldn't expect problems either, as it is a bit far out of town. Also at Brocklehurst, there is a turnoff to some "gardens" (can't remember the exact name) which are 3km's west of Brocklehurst, there is a beautiful riverside camp down there but it just looked like a "local" hangout that might get a bit of riff raff from time to time so I steered clear of it. Still worth finding this place for yourself and making up your own mind as it was very nice.

As far as the rumours go, Dubbo can be a nasty place in some parts (namely west Dubbo) but like any town it has a lot of nice locals that would give you the shirt off their back also. The Zoo is great and the family should really enjoy it. I wouldn't suggest taking the family for a walk through town after about 8pm.

Have a great stay in Dubbo region and I hope you see the nicer side of what used to be a lovely place.
Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 200050

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 17:18

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 17:18
i stayed at the caravan park on the hwy just near the zoo - about 20min walk - very nice park with good facilities. there were (maybe still are) a number of issues re local people and family fueds and not liking tourists but in the end no real problems and certainly nothing as bad as burke. enjoy the zoo as it is great - make sure you check out the meerkats then think back to meerkat manor - they realy are vicious little bastards much like people at times. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 200052

Follow Up By: DMH122 - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 20:20

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 20:20
Hi, we also stayed at this park about 6months ago, great spot close to zoo. I think if you stay from trouble, trouble stays away from you. Cheers.
FollowupID: 459096

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 17:24

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 17:24
Yep i have stayed at that CP too. Nice facilities, pretty secure and handy to the Zoo.
Met up with the Dodger from this forum with whom we had a great meal at the Railway Bowling?... Club.
The troublemakers are in a certain part of Dubbo and they are mostly kids so probably not mobile enough to plague the main centres of Dubbo....
FollowupID: 459269

Reply By: Member - Toolman (VIC) - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 17:57

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 17:57
We stayed at the Dubbo City Caravan park In July this year. On arrival we were warned by the managers to be security conscious and not to leave stuff unsecured outside the van and to lock up your cars and caravans when away from them. While we were there someone had their van broken into while they were visiting the one next door. There is a security guard who patrols but its abig park so I don't think that was too much of a deterent. The park is clean and well kept and as good as any I've stayed in in that respect. I must say I was not all that comfortable after being warned but we had no problems. Dubbo is a big place and not a bad town with quite a large shopping centre. I guess that like most towns there are areas of problems. The zoo is great.

Toolmann
AnswerID: 200063

Reply By: Dasher_Syme - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 18:36

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 18:36
Hi, all haven't been there for a while as we are now Mexicans but we used to do the zoo every nsw labor day weekend and stay at the Wellington Caves Park.
Sensational setting and the caves and surrounds are an good explore.
'tis 30 mins from Wellington to Dubbo.
cheers,
dasher
AnswerID: 200066

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW, 2527) - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 18:58

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 18:58
We stayed at the Dubbo City park (Top tourist) for a couple of nights two weeks ago and had no problems. Did see a security gaurd on site. But you have to wonder why they have a big slideing gate that needs a code to get in after 7pm and the park is surrounded with barbed wire!!.
We have just returned from 8 weeks through WA and I think it is more a duty of care thing that they have to warn people to be security concious. To me its common sense, but i supose that there are people out there that will take stuff no matter how security minded you are.

Athol
AnswerID: 200070

Reply By: Dirty Smitty - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 19:45

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 19:45
Stay in Orange, its only up/down the road from Dubbo.
AnswerID: 200077

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 19:55

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 19:55
I must have missed something. We stayed at the Dubbo Big 4. Close to the zoo. A nice park and no problems. I did notice though that thy have a very good security fence all round.

In my experience Dubbo no problems compared to other places (Moree for example). Perhaps we were just lucky.
AnswerID: 200080

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 20:35

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 20:35
What's wrong with Dubbo? This'll get a bite for sure. Ready? .............

Sydney without the beach!!!

But seriously there are issues in West Dubbo but they tend to stay in a fairly specific area.

There is a riverside camp spot out near the Zoo. There is a historic farm house touristy thing called Dun...., Dumble..... somethng like that and just down past it is a spot you can camp by the river.

I know a guy who stayed there in his caravan years ago and reckons it's great. Free too.

Duncs
AnswerID: 200095

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 21:36

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 21:36
I went thru there about a week ago Duncs and found the traffic and roads thru town to be a bleep fight.

I'm sure it's a nice town, however it was one place on my travels that I wasn't terribly enthused about. Didn't do much for me.
FollowupID: 459124

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 15:23

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 15:23
Scott,

That is pretty much my opinion of Dubbo too. I travel regularly between Broken Hill and Sydney and Dubbo slows me down more than any other place. I have found a route that gets me around 90% of Dubbo so I use that all the time now.

Once you have seen the Zoo and the Old Gaol that about takes care of Dubbo.

Still some people love the place. That's OK but it's not for me.

Duncs
FollowupID: 459249

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 17:28

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 17:28
"...Once you have seen the Zoo and the Old Gaol that about takes care of Dubbo...."

Doesn't match the excitement of finding you car in one piece where you left it when you return...
FollowupID: 459270

Reply By: steve21 - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 20:53

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 20:53
we stayed in the big4 in august, no probs great club next door. enjoy
steve
AnswerID: 200104

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 22:14

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 22:14
Hope you enjoy the zoo. I took the kids about 9 years ago. Very disappointed. Just animals in paddocks and a fair distance away. We took our bikes... had heard that you could ride around. ... and we did. Nothing special though.

Just didn't live up to expectations. Maybe the old Melbourne Zoo was just so good compared...

Stood and looked a few rhinos in the paddock. Could have been cows. Got close to some koalas.... just like in my back yard.

Not sure what all the fuss is about.. but maybe it's come on in the last few years.

Maybe I'll take my grandkids when I get some and see it in a whole new light.
AnswerID: 200117

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 17:36

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 17:36
Animals in the Zoo are tamer than the locals.....
FollowupID: 459271

Reply By: Bytemrk - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 22:27

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 22:27
I stayed at the Big4 park just near the zoo about a month ago... nice park lots of warnings about make sure you lock everything up.

I took my kids around the zoo... you'll love it! If you can get there early ( between 6:30am and 6:45) they run a pre opening tour... was only an extra $30 for the whole family and the kids absolutely loved it.... not sure if it runs every day though.

The morning I left the park - I met a guy that had his window smashed on his defender and some stuff stolen from his truck overnight. It was parked in the van park next to his camper! I guess he must be a heavy sleeper.. poor bugger. His site was on the fence though - so I guess someone jumped the fence in the middle of the night...

Otherwise Dubbo is no worse than many...

Have a good trip....

Mark
AnswerID: 200119

Reply By: rags - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 22:36

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 22:36
Harry you could try narromine approx 40kms west great little country park [n/mine rosegarden] no security worries here, stayed here recently and would consider it a good alternative to dubbo, park overlooking paddocks, good amenities not expensive and not much else.
AnswerID: 200122

Reply By: 1812 - Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 23:43

Friday, Oct 20, 2006 at 23:43
Hi We stayed in the top tourist park at Eaqster and had no problems. As said advised to lock every thing and be carefull but dont we all do this anyway.

the Zoo was great the kids loved it we drove our car around and saw every thing and some things twice

Go with an open mind and enjoy yourself

Scott
AnswerID: 200129

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 00:14

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 00:14
>> What sort of place is Dubbo?

Its a toilet that is waiting to be flushed of bleep .

There was another thread on this about a month or 3 ago
AnswerID: 200131

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 00:29

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 00:29
I've never been there, but how about considering Peak Hill - between Parkes and Dubbo. Reports on "Badgers"
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/parks_n0.htm#region
are good, and contributions from the manager as a member of the caravanners forum indicate someone who cares and reasonable costs.

Peak Hill Caravan Park, Peak Hill
Manager's name is Pauline & Leighton. Ph: 02 6869 1422. Peak Hill is 48km from Parkes on the Newell Highway - an excellent alternative to Dubbo or Parkes if travelling on the Newell highway.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 200135

Follow Up By: roofscooter2 - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:07

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:07
Mother they people whom own Peak Hill c/park are /were members of EO as well were they not.They took it over about 12 mths ago.
Cheer's Bob.
FollowupID: 459162

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:37

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:37
M/H, it is a much safer option than Dubbo, gold mine to explore in Peak Hill as well. Last time I was at the park (more than 5yrs) it was nothing special but fairly typical of a small community park.

That's right Bob they were on this site some time back as members.
(Man you confused me for a minute-----We have a member that used to go by the name of Roofscooter who is also known as Bob, I thought I was talking to him for a sec.)

Cheers to you both,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 459176

Follow Up By: 666toy - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 17:10

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 17:10
Gday,
just my 2 cents worth re peak hill. Nice place we stayed at the motel last long weekend . Clean & tidy but was upset to find the owner had ripped us off by only $10 but none the less ripped me off .(there excuse long weekend) well the holiday is the monday not the friday !!! so i do not reccomend peak hill (but seems a nice place).Anyway had my grumble BYPASS PEAK HILL MOTEL .if your not employing staff why be gready & charge a surcharge!!!! makes people that do this kind of thing no better than OIL COMPANYS & POLITICITIONS
FollowupID: 459266

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:10

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:10
Hi Harry..
First off I have been lazy and NOT read the replies above!...... But we were in Dubbo recently and can tell you this much.......

It's a much bigger town than we thought it would be and probably has as much hoon activity as any town of that size. We found the locals quite friendly, had a great feed of pies and cakes from "The French Hot Bread Shop" in the town centre...... Stayed in a caravan park on the highway in town, I think called the Dubbo City Caravan Park. We got it confused with another park closer to the zoo, called the Dubbo Caravan Park (I think). The one nearer the town is, well, noisy.. Friday night all we heard was sirens, alarms, screeching tyres etc etc.... big town noises! On the Saturday night, we stayed at the zoo as part of the Roar and Snore Program something I can highly recommend. The Western Plains Zoo is fantastic. If you don't do the Roar and Snore, at least get there early for an early morning tour. It is well worth it. We had our trailer booked into the caravan park from Friday till Monday am, stayed at the zoo sat night and to be honest we were a little concerned because of the signs everywhere about thieves etc... but everything was still there when we got back Sunday afternoon.

I have some pics and a story here from our whole trip, but some zoo pics are there as well.

Next time we go, we would stay at the caravan park nearer the zoo, we couldn't hear the town noise from the zoo itself.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 200158

Reply By: andreab63 - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:40

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:40
We stayed at Dubbo, as we do the Bris - Melb run with kids annually [family down there].
Stayed in Dubbo caravan park [? big 4]in a cabin,: very nice safe, expensive and nearly booked out.

Maybe I'm deaf, dumb and blind, but Dubbo is not somewhere I'd have thought of being too dangerous. Maree on the other hand was a little wild, but if your staying in a caravan park and not swanning around town at 2am in the morning half tanked you should stay out of trouble.
Have fun, andrea.
AnswerID: 200164

Follow Up By: andreab63 - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:43

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 08:43
I guess I am deaf, dumb and blind, plus lazy. I hadn't read the previous posts, about all the break ins. sorry about that. Andrea
FollowupID: 459179

Reply By: pelbo - Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 09:26

Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 at 09:26
We heard several bad stories about vans being broken into in some Dubbo caravan parks (even while owners were sitting in their annex!)

Then we were told about a great spot to stay right near the zoo. It is the Red Earth Vinyard. They are just behind the zoo and gave us power and water. All it cost was to buy a bottle of wine from their celler. The wine was great and we ended up buying 4 bottles and staying a few days!.

Very secure place, as they lock the gates at about 6pm and go home. So several campers camped there with us gave them security at night and in return, for them to keep a eye on our van while we visted town and the zoo.

It was a good, mutual trade!
AnswerID: 200172

Sponsored Links